Spicy Shrimp Tacos

12:47 PM

When I was younger I never liked Mexican food. It's was just something I didn't have a taste for and I really didn't like spicy food. Then in college I was introduced to the wonderful world of Chipotle! From then on I suddenly didn't mind the spicy Mexicans flavors and actually grew to love them. Now being married, my hubby and I love to try new recipes that have similar flavors to chipotle (because as yummy as it is, that stuff can get pretty expensive!) So here is my recipe for spicy shrimp tacos. It's super easy and quick to make but packs a bunch of flavor!


Ingredients:
1 lb shrimp (smaller to medium sized shrimp fit best in the tortillas)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1-2 tbsp olive oil (or any other oil for cooking the shrimp)
4 tortillas or taco shells

Optional toppings: 
Sour cream
Fresh tomatoes
Shredded cheese
Onions
Salsa
Cilantro and other herbs 
Lettuce


1- If, like me, you picked up frozen shrimp with tails you will need to thaw them out by running under hot water for a few minutes and then remove the shells. 



2- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is ready add the shrimp and spices. Mix until the shrimp are evenly covered with the spices. Cook until the shrimp at opaque and pink. 



3- Remove the shrimp and put together the tacos to your likings. I used fresh cut tomatoes, onions, salsa, shredded cheese, and sour cream. They were great just the way I made them but adding cilantro would have added some more dimension to the flavors. 


I will usually eat left overs for lunch the next day and these tacos are just as good reheated as they are the first time. If you post your own spicy shrimp tacos to Instagram or elsewhere be sure to use #goodnesscooking. 



You Might Also Like

0 comments